Saturday, October 8, 2011

Less Than The Least (Saturday, John 20, Ephesians 3)

"I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me.." (Eph 3:7-8)

I often forget what an amazing miracle that God used Paul, and that through him a good portion of the Bible was written and that through him the gospel went out into the world. I often forget Paul's background, and just how unlikely it was that he would go on to do what he did. Him saying that he was less than the least was no false modesty.


Saul of Tarsus was was a dedicated, driven man who zealously persecuted the followers of Jesus. He stood by watching with approval as Stephen was stoned to death. There was probably not a person alive who despised Jesus and the God of the Israelites more that Saul. But God completely changed the man, completely turned him around. The most unlikely candidate became a powerful instrument for God, and became profoundly moved to love and follow Jesus until his dying breath.

This just reminds me that though I so often see myself as unusable, or an unlikely candidate for God's work, that God is far more powerful than I can imagine. He can take an insignificant, flawed and sinful person to bring Himself glory. He can use even me. Nobody got this more than Paul, who as a changed man, just couldn't get over what God had done.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (v.20-1)

Amen indeed!

--Ben McLaughlin, 9am @ Engadine

Tomorrows Readings: John 21, Ephesians 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment