Saturday, October 1, 2011

God's Too Hard Basket Is Always Empty (Saturday, John 13 & Deuteronomy 7)

I love Deuteronomy Chapter 7. I'd like to reflect on two aspects of it that really strike me. Firstly, God's amazing power and how He can make the seemingly impossible possible in our lives, and secondly God's great, great love and faithfulness for His people.



There are so many things in life that to me just seem like insurmountable problems, things that I doubt anything can be done about, things that I can envisage no good coming from. I know that God is powerful, but surely he won't bring about this? Yes He will.

God has promised to bring His chosen people in to the promised land, but first there is a massive task at hand. Seven nations stand in the way, all much larger and much more powerful than the Israelites. In human terms, it is completely improbable that they would even be able to defeat one of those nations, let alone seven! If I was an Israelite back then, I can't help but think my attitude would be pretty doubtful. God, it's all well and good that You want us to go and live in that great place over there, but come on. Couldn't You have made it a bit easier? How do You expect us to possibly get in there?

But to God it's all a foregone conclusion. He knows what's going to happen, He knows His own power. He doesn't try to persuade them with 'don't worry, it seem hard, but I'll help You do it'. Rather He talks about it like it's already done. "When the LORD your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them.." (v.2) It's a definite. It's going to happen.

It would be like the coach of the Namibian Rugby team saying "when you've defeated South Africa, New Zealand, England, Wales, Ireland, France and Australia, and are holding up the trophy in a couple of weeks time..". The players would think the coach needed his head read! But God can bring about the seemingly impossible. That rugby example pales in comparison to what God can make happen.

When I look with hindsight at my own life, I see amazing things that God has accomplished, things that I would never have thought possible. Don't doubt, believe, because God is truly all powerful. Nothing is too hard for Him. We should pray with a faith that really believes this is true, because He has proven Himself a million times over.

And secondly I'd like to reflect on God's great love, so beautifully described from verse 6-9. I love this passage. So much that we chose it to be read out on our wedding day. The passage tells us that God has chosen us. We are His treasured possession. He didn't choose us because of any lame merits we had, but just because He loved us and swore an oath to always love us. It tells us that He redeemed us, and that He is faithful, and will keep His promise forever.

Gosh, there surely cannot be anything more reassuring than all of that put together. How wonderful that the immense and powerful God and Creator of the universe should consider us to be His 'treasured possession!'

--Ben McLaughlin, 9am @ Engadine

Tomorrows Readings: John 14, Deuteronomy 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment