Friday, September 23, 2011

Are You a Runner? (Friday, John 5, Psalm 119:129-160)

It's fair to say that everyone responds to tough times differently and in their own way. But as I reflect on some difficult and tragic times in the past, I have not always turned to God in trust and dependence, but in some cases have run the other way.

In Psalm 119:153-160 we see the Psalmist's response to affliction, which seems to be a real physical threat from his persecutors. While I know that persecution comes with the territory for us who follow Christ, it has never and is unlikely to ever come in the form of an actual physical threat for me. My affliction will more likely come in some other form - sickness, loss of someone close, maybe difficult personal relationships, perhaps work is weighing me down to the exclusion of all else.

How will I respond to affliction? Will I wallow in self pity? Will my bible gather dust on the bookshelf? Will I turn from God and ignore him, or will I cry out to the one on whom I am totally dependent, the one who will revive me, the one who can give me life? Will I turn to his perfect word and meditate on it?

The Psalmist, rather than running from God, turns to God in prayer and invites God's intervention, and he does this boldly with full assurance of God's promises, and with an understanding of his total dependence on God for life. The closer he clings to the word, the greater is his assurance of deliverance. Don't be a runner, rather be a clinger - clinging to the perfect and everlasting word of truth.

One other random thought/query...

In v158 He loathes his adversaries - is there such a thing as righteous hatred towards spiritual rebels?


Andrew (10.45am church @ Engadine)
Tomorrows Readings: John 6, Psalm 119:161-176

No comments:

Post a Comment